Sunday, May 26, 2013

Arriving in Guangzhou

My view from the Garden Hotel

Dawson's crib is ready.  I hope he won't mind that it has pink bedding!

The Johnstone family and I had dinner here at Tekila - it is pronounced "tequila".  It felt a bit strange eating Mexican food in China, and it was a bit odd seeing Chinese girls wearing Mexican skirts and blouses.  The food was delicious, the atmosphere was quite nice, and it was only a short walk from the Garden.  The Johnstone family was much braver than me - they ate tomatoes and lettuce - a "No NO" in China.  Hopefully, they will not be stuck in a bathroom during the night.

Mary Margaret and I "met" via email prror to travel.  We have hit it off very well and have so much in common.  It has been such a treat to get to know her and her family today.  We will be here together in Guangzhou for our entire stay and for that I am so thankful!  And, they live only one state away and very near to our many other friends in that state - the Barbees, Horners, Hortons, and the Sylvias.  So thankful that they will be close by.  They are adopting an 11 year old boy who will be their first adopted child. 

Today has been a great day despite almost missing my plane from Hong Kong.  Too tired  to tell the whole story, but let's just say I completely miscalculated the timing of when I needed to get up and when I needed to leave my room.  Have you seen people running in airports trying get to the gate before last call.  Yes, that was me!  And the Starbucks I was craving since the night before? It got dumped in the trash after only a few sips as I ran towards security.  I know God was watching over me as it took several people to step in and assist me in order for me to make that flight, the line at security and immigration were short, and I found the gate with ease!
 
I have settled into my hotel room in the Garden and have skyped with David and the children at home twice now.  There are all doing well.  Thankfully, I have managed to stay awake all day and now feel oh. so. sleepy!  So, I hope and pray for a good night of rest so I will be ready for the big day tomorrow!  I receive Dawson tomorrow at 2:30.  Tonight is his last sleep in an orphange and for that I am so grateful.  Grateful for the Lord's willingness to use broken people like me to love and bring hope to His children.  I can not imagine my life without the precious children who call me "Mom" - though they were born in my heart and not of my womb. 


5 comments:

  1. When did you skype? I didn't know you skyped! Must have been texting haha jk... :) Glad your having a good time! LOVE you!!! :)
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you arrived safely. Elvin told us that he would be your facilitator and the Johnstones. Happy that you will have another family there with you. Looking forward to seeing photos with Dawson!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Are you in 1446? Your view looks the same as ours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for him as he takes that loooong drive to GZ!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have chills as I know you are close to getting Dawson...it is after 1 a.m. here! It was great to see your family today(uh now, yesterday) in church behind us! You have a precious family!

    ReplyDelete