Friday, May 31, 2013

Exploring Guangzhou


A 9 story pagoda at the Siz Banyan Temple.  It used to be the tallest building in the city.  Hard to imagine that when looking out over the city's skyline.
 
On Friday we visited the Six Banyan Temple.  It is an old Buddist temple dating back about 700 years.  Approximately 50% of Chinese in the southern part of the country are Buddist.  Prior to entering the temple, I had a glimpse of what Dawson's future may have looked like had he never been adopted.  A relatively young man stood on the sidewalk begging.  All the beggars I have seen during my 5 trips to China have all been disbaled in some way.  This man was no different.  He had no hands.  I am always saddened to see anyone in such desperation that they must beg on the street, but when that person is disbaled, it is even more heartbreaking.  And on this day, I saw who might son might have been had he not been listed for international adoption adn been chosen by a family.  I am praising God for sparing Dawson from that future and praying for the poor gentleman who is an outcast in this society and who begs on the street to survive. 
Dawson sucks on either the blanket or his shirt sleeves.  So sweet!
He is a good sleeper but he does seem to grieve when he wakes up.  It doesn't happen every time, but many times he has woken up from nap or in the morning and has been inconsolable.  Eventually, it passes and he will start chattering away and smiling.

This is how I found my sweet boy on Friday morning.  Despite putting him to bed with his shirt tucked in - in hopes of avoiding him being shirtless the next morning.  I stood at his crib in complete shock wondering how he managed to shed his pants and raise his shirt without changing his position in his crib. 
 
 
After dinner on Thursday night, we decided to take a stroll in the neighborhhood around our hotel.  Scott had been to the pharmacy the night before and had come across an outdoor market.  In hopes of burning off some of the delicious Chinese food we had just eaten, we set off to explore the market.  The weather was a bit cooler than usual which made it certainly more enjoyable.  It was a wonderful opportunity to take in some of the local culture - beyond the walls of the 5 star hotel we currently call home.  We made a pit stop for some cold water which provided some cute pictures of the 3 additional boys I am spending most of this trip with.  Next to Dawson is Parker and then there is Peter, Mary Margaret and Scott's new son, and Turner, their oldest son.  These boys are all well-behaved, and it has been a pleasure exploring Guangzhou with them.  Peter is precious with Dawson.  He calls him Sho- Ba Ba- which is Cantonese for "small baby".

Blogger did not want to cooperate with me so many of the pictures from the temple did not get uploaded.  It took over an hour for these few which are also out of order.   I will try again later.


 
Here Dawson is taking a breather from being in the carrier which is really more like an oven!  He and I are both soaked after an excursion with him next to me in the carrier, but it is helping my back a lot and is superb for bonding!

I am so thankful and in awe of how well Dawson is doing and how well we are bonding.  One might think a mother would instantly love her newly adopted child  - afterall she has oohed and ahhed over pictures and thinks she truly loves this child whom she has waited so long to hold.  Yet that is not always the case.  Praise God, it is the case with Dawson and me.  Sadly, it was not the case for 2 other families who met their children in the same room and at the same time as I met Dawson.  Two families have returned their children to the orphanages.  That breaks my heart and makes me angry all at the same time.  I know I am not to judge, yet I can't help but think about the little girls' futures.    I simply can not imagine sending the child I have waited and prayed for back to life in an orphange.  It is essentially abandoning them again.  These 2 girsl, one almost 9 years and one 3 years, spent the night with their parents, ate meals with their parents, and then after 2 nights, they were sent back to their respective orphanages.  Two little ones who once again suffered  rejection from a mother.  Will they be taunted and ridiculed by the other children and the staff at the orphanage?  I am afraid so.  Oh, dear God, why must there be so much sadness and heartache?  I know the answer yet my yearns for it to go away.  One day.  One day all of this shall pass away.  My heart longs for heaven where there will be no more outcasts and no more rejects.  No more stares at my precious little boy because he is different than the "perfect child".  Lord Jesus, Come!

4 comments:

  1. Oh gosh Jan I did not know that! That is heartbreaking. As hard as that first day was and as much as I worried about what this would look like once we were home, I really cannot fathom what would make me send my child back to the orphanage; so thankful I am not in their situation. I just cannot not imagine what they must be going through, any of the involved. P.S. I didn't get your email. Try to send another one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So thankful to see a post from you this morning. I was worried about you! Glad to see that all is going so well. JW would often remove his pajama pants or shirt during the night. I finally gave up and now most of the time he just sleeps in a pair of cotton shorts. I think he gets hot and is more comfortable this way. Dawson is so cute in every single photo! Love the one of him wearing his sunglasses!

    Praise God for the friends you have found in China! It always broke my heart to see the people...even children...begging on the streets. When we went for John we saw a young lady begging on one of the walkways that crossed over the streets begging. She had her little girl who looked like she was about 3 years old strapped to her back and it was bitterly cold. I cried every time we walked over that bridge. Could have so easily been either of our girls or John.

    Can't wait to see you and Dawson in a few days! Praying the TB test is okay!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This happens often, sad to say. So glad you are in it for the long haul. These dear children need their families to advocate for them, to love them in spite of what little they may seem to offer, to help them reach a potential that will never be in their grasp if they're sent back. It's heartbreaking.

    So exciting to see him smiling for you. He is so, so special. Please smooch him for me. I have had his pic of us when he was bitty and sleeping on my chest as my FB profile pic since your Gotcha Day, to remind me to pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pictures of Dawson sleeping with his shirt around his neck so reminded me of my time in Guangzhou with Jayden. I even posted a picture on my blog of his wardrobe malfunction: http://livingshema.blogspot.com/2011/06/wardrobe-malfunction.html

    You will eventually figure out the best clothes for Dawson, but we still often have some malfunctions!

    Thank you so much for sharing your journey. I absolutely love following along.

    April

    ReplyDelete