Thursday, June 27, 2013

One Month after Gotcha Day


Dawson loves riding in the wagon but hates the swing.
He knows just how to avoid the camera. . .squeeze eyes shut or

hide your face!

Dawson has discovered how much fun a simple cardboard box can be.
 
He has taught us that he loves to carry a bucket around with all of his loot!  His Gabby has provided 2 - one small and one large to accomodate his carrying needs.


Dawson loves his sister's plastic tea set.
He smiles and laughs - alot, and we just melt!
Shelby has already introduced the piano to Dawson.  He surprised us and used both his arm and his stump to "play".  Most of the time he ignores his stump.
Dawson helped David celebrate Father's Day.
(I was surprised the picture turned out so well being that there are 9 children here!)
Only 3 days after coming home, Dawson helped his great-grandmother celebrate her 90th birthday.

He has done well taking to David.  Still calls him "Gu Gu"/big brother rather than Ba Ba or Daddy. 
And he adores Katie.  Ordinarily this would be a great  thing, but with adoption, it's a  little problematic.  When Katie puts him down or has to leave him, he cries as if his heart is broken.  He does NOT cry like that when he seperates from me.  This only happens with Katie.  Despite my doing everything for him and meeting all of his needs, it is quite apparent that our attachment is still developing.  This is new territory for me.  However, it is worth all the effort to ensure that he attaches to David as father and me as mother.  The work will continue!
Dawson is a shoe bandit!  Here he stole Ellie's slippers.  He is constantly wearing someone else's shoes.  It causes me concern because his balance is not the greatest and when he falls, well, he falls on his face.  Shoes that are too big just put him at greater risk of falling.

All in all, we are doing well.  I am still exhausted and struggling to find our "new normal".  I feel like I live in the kitchen and laundry room -only.  My days seem to consist of. . .feed, wash, wipe.  Repeat.  Wash, dry, fold, put away.  Repeat.  Oh, I must add to that a taxi cab driver - drive, drop-off, drive, pick-up.  Repeat.  Did I say I am tired - ALOT?
Dawson is getting along well with all of his siblings, and they all like him.  I think Hudson has said only once that he didn't want a new brother anymore - well, buddy, it's a little too late for that!
Still searching for the "lazy days of summer"
Have you found them cause I sure haven't!

4 comments:

  1. Keep these wonderful updates coming!! I just love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan, I have thought about you so much! thanks for this update and Dawson is absolutely ADORABLE! Love the sweet pics of him and your whole family. Hope you find some "lazy days" this summer!! Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to your post in so many ways! Having very similar feelings after being home a little over a month. You have a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am searching for those lazy days too, but I only have four! So happy all is going well. He looks like he is a total joy!

    ReplyDelete