Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Goodbye Guangzhou, Hello Hong Kong!

June 3 ~ Our Consulate Appointment

The J family who were a huge blessing to me and who I now consider my lifelong friends!  It was such a joy to have spent most of this trip with them.
Peter, Parker, Turner, Mary Margaret, and Scott

After our Consulate Appointment, Mary Margaret, Dawson, and I wnet back to Shaiman Island to finish our shopping.  We had a great time and found just the items we needed for our new adopted children as well as for those special ones back home.  We took a break at Starbucks and look who was sitting at the table next to us - a bride and groom.  They were on the island taking pictures in their rented attire months before their actual wedding date - odd for us Americans, but that is the Chinese custom for wedding pictures.

Dawson was quite a trooper for our 3 hour shopping trip.  Right before we left the island, he took a big fall on a very hard tile floor.  As I suspected, when he falls, he lands on his face.  He doesn't have hands to catch his fall.  It sounded horrible, but thankfully, he recovered soon after and only had a big goose egg to show for it.

After shopping, Peter and Turner stopped by to return something and came in to play with Dawson.  Dawson was so happy to see them.  They had a great time.  I think Dawson is going to love all the sisters and brothers waiting for him at home.  He loves being around people.

Having a  blast with Peter and Turner.

June 4
Today, Dawson entertained himself quite well while I packed.   Here he was enjoying one last look around Guangzhou from our hotel window.

The White Swan is completly closed so no Red Couch photo for Dawson.  Why not switch to a green chair at the Garden instead?


My boys just do not handle this picture - taking tradition well.  3 years ago, Hudson was red faced and crying over having the Red Couch photo taken.  Thankfully, Dawson did do much better than Hudson, but he refused to look at the camera.

Until Mama joined him.

One last photo with our favorite guide, Elvin.
He said I would be back because 10 is a perfect number in China!    My reply - "I'll tell David!"
I do prefer even numbers : )
Sweet Peter and Dawson

My family for the last 10 days!
Dawson and I sat in the train station from 3 until 5 30 when we boarded.  Elvin got us situated and then left to go to the Consulate to pick up Dawson's Chinese passport with his American visa.
A nice man from Israel who now lives in Panama and was in China on buisness approached me asking about Dawson's story.  He said he was so touched watching Elvin, Dawson, and I interact.  I explained how Dawson came to be a member of our family - a sad beginning involving abandonment and life in an orphanage yet Dawson's story did not end there.  I then explained the call we felt from God to the orphans in China.  The man began to weep and thanked me for sharing our story.  He said there is so much bad in the world, and that it was so great to witness such a beautiful story.  Talking with Sammy helped to pass the time and reminded me of how God can use our obedience to His call to touch many, many lives- even in the most unexpected places.

As we stood in line prior to boarding the train, Dawson began to hit and kick me.  Then the crying started which escalated and got the attention of the many Chinese folks around us.  Of course, then the stares came our way.  I felt like I was suffocating with an insanely heavy backpack on my back and a screaming 24 pound 2 year old strapped to my front.  I truly felt like my lungs did not have room to exhale.  I tried not to panic and prayed instead.  Thankfully, the line started moving.  Then God provided a helper for me ~ the Chinese man behind me offered to take my suitcase.  I thanked him and gladly handed it over to him.  He took it down the escalator, all the way to car #4, and then loaded it onto the train for me.  I thanked him from the bottom of my heart.  Two other kind folks helped me get my bags better organized on the escalator after deboarding the train.  When waiting for the taxi in Hong Kong, the gentleman in front of me offered to let me go ahead. I thanked him for his kindness and proceeded to the taxi.   The taxi driver did not get out to assist me in the pouring rain - he just popped the trunk.  Praise God, the same gentleman who let me go ahead of him, gave me his umbrella and then lifted my
likely over-weight-for-international-flights suitcase into the trunk of the taxi.  I thanked him over and over as well!  God provided exactly who I needed at the exact moments I needed help and encouragement.  Why did I ever doubt?  Oh, ye of little faith!


The Regal Airport Hotel never looked so good and cold Mcdonalds never tasted so good!

Dawson is already snoozing, and I am right behind him.
Our flight leaves tomorrow at 11 50AM. 

Thank you all for your prayers, comments, emails, and encouragement!  Next post will be from home, sweet, home!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, my heart rejoiced that you had these helpers today!! Answer to my prayers for you!! Hate we won't be there to welcome Dawson home....well, if we knew when you would be in Chicago, we might could have made that welcome to the USA since we are at Mayo! Will have to get to know him soon though! love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh to be at the airport when you arrive HOME! God certainly answered my prayers by sending YOU to be Dawson's mama. My heart has a little more peace tonight knowing that he is loved and cherished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea! So glad you and Dawson made it safely! Looking forward to seeing the post saying we're home!!

    ReplyDelete