Thursday, August 22, 2013

And we're off!

Our homeschooling has officially begun!

Ellie has had a great start to her 1st grade year.
With Ellie, I am using A Reason for Handwriting, Saxon math 1, Explode the Code, and Sonlight Language Arts 1 with 2nd grade readers.  All 3 girls are studying Beautiful Feet's Learning American History Through Literature and Apologia's Astronomy.
For Bible we are using some books we already own.  Right now we are finishing up what we started last year - Bible Stories to Read.  Ellie is super excited that she is starting ballet this year.  She has been a huge Angelina Ballerina fan for years and has waited patiently for her turn to start lessons.

Lilly has had a rough start to 2nd grade (and if she reads this she may get mad, but I am just stating facts!)!  Lilly asked me today what the worse school was.  I, of course, knew that she couldn't wait to tell me that it was HOMESCHOOL!  She has also openly shared that she will NEVER homeschool her kids "like this".  I could go on, but you likely get the picture!  Ahh, the joys of homeschooling a spirited and strongwilled child.  Any advice?  I'm all ears!  Although Lilly is officially a 2nd grader, she is doing 3rd grade work with Leiney Grace.  And, no, the work is not too hard, and it is not the cause of her poor attitude.  Lilly is continuing with gymnastics this year.

Leiney Grace loves school - specifically math!  She would do worksheet after worksheet. Attitude is not a problem for this 3rd grader.  She is eager and excited every day.  This year Leiney Grace and Lilly are using A Reason for Handwriting (cursive), Saxon Math 3, Character Quality Language Arts level 2 (a new curriculum which I stumbled across and so far LOVE), Explode the Code, Sonlight 3rd grade readers, and the same history and science as Ellie.  Leiney Grace is very interested in tennis after watching her older brother, Fulton, play.  She has had a few lessons this summer and will continue in the fall with a small homeschool group.

One new part of our school day is "center time".  I have numerous activities in ziploc bags in a drawer in our school room.  These are the girls' "centers" for when they finish their school work.  Lilly enjoys this part of school.  Just not the "boring" part which is most of our school day according to Lilly.

This past January when we brought the girls home from a charter school, I just pieced together our school with curriculum I already had.  We worked out of our kitchen and our laundry room.  I taught sitting on the floor in the midst of dirty clothes.  Not your ideal set-up.  This summer I spent many hours reorganizing all of our homeschool materials. I have accumulated quite a bit after 11 years.


A wall of our playroom is the new school room.  So far it is working wonderfully.

Heading back up the stairs for school after snack and a quick recess.  Dawson is in Tot- School : )
 

Maps are now hung on the wall rather than being propped up against a chair only to fall down.


Each of the girls has their books neatly stored here. 

And mom/teacher has all of her supplies neatly stored here and in the cabinets above and below.  I was praying that my attempt at relocating the school area as well as my improved organization would ease my load.  After 4 days, I must say it has made a huge difference!  I am actually enjoying homeschooling!  Loving the curriculum and most improtantly loving having my girls home with me. (well, minus the 'tude a certain 7 year old is giving me : ) )
There is one other student in our homeschool this year - Shelby!  Shelby has just started her junior year and with one look in her room, it is quite obvious that school is back in session.

Shelby is taking Honors Biology II and Honors English III at a
 co-op 45 minutes from home.  The rest of her courses are self-taught with a little help from mom now and then.  Saxon Advanced Math (thankfully a friend is taking this with Shelby and her mom is willing to help both of the girls with this challenging course!), Notgrass American History, BJU Spanish 2 with DVDs, My Father's World Personal Finance, and Piano.  Shelby also started working at Chick-fil-a this summer.  She has really enjoyed it and hopes to continue through the school year.
Shelby continues showing her horse, Charlie, and will once again be on a local IEA team (Intescholastic Equestrian Association).

Well, that sums up school for more than half of our kiddos.
Next up - spotlighting the other 4 who will be attending a traditional "brick and mortar school"
It will be a busy year indeed!

4 comments:

  1. Looks good mama! And I will be checking back with you on the 'tude problem considering I have one of those myself! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos are doing the trick of getting even me excited to start Homeschooling this Fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go, Headmaster, Mom, Teacher, etc!! You could share your organizing skills by taking over and doing all our pictures and medical papers that need doing..but, then there would be no time to do anything else...oh, well...maybe I can get inspired from your pictures then!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like it will be a good year with homeschooling the girls! (And Dawson, of course)

    Oh, those high spirited and strong willed Chenzhou girls! And I have TWO~ Lord help me! AC is so bright as is your Lilly. If I can only channel it. She wants no part of "doing school" really,either, except for history. :)

    I also wanted to say that I did the Beautiful Feet~ Primary study last year w/ Grace and AC. And it was the highlight of our entire year! The girls AND I just loved it. I hope it is the same for you. I LOVE Beautiful Feet. And I've used quite a few of their studies over the years. I hope it works as well for you.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete